NMT (No-Me Teaching) new series 8
[for a while, preface with the following– skip over if seen before]
In order to hint at how serious this Blog is, let the author unequivocally state that the Knowledge here imparted, none of it original, none to be credited to the author, that Knowledge is THE MOST VALUABLE treasure that exists. If hypothetically offered 100 Billion dollars to forgo this Knowledge, that offer or any other would be disregarded in the blink of an eye. Even with all the good that might be accomplished with $100B, this Knowledge is beyond the World & comes from beyond the Mind. This is no hyperbole.
Prior to excerpting another Ramana Maharshi disciple in the text below we continue the series: Fine-Tuned Universe 4, the so-called Fine-Tuned Universe similarly termed the Anthropic Principle. Bracketed immediately below is a disclaimer and a reminder that will be repeated from time to time to recall to mind the purpose for delving into such a discussion that purpose would be to see that:
[In the unreal reflection called the “Universe”, a product of an unreal Mind, even there, Infinite Intelligence is evident and inspiring.]
Fine-Tuned Universe 2:
The previously introduced “Fine-Tuned Universe” refers to the premise that a small change in several of the dimensionless fundamental physical constants would make the Universe (progressively more) radically different & specifically incapable of supporting Life, advanced Life, & presumably intelligent Life [if consciousness could ever be “scientifically” explained ].
John Gribbin & Martin Rees in their 1989 Cosmic Coincidences asked: “The conditions in our Universe really do seem to be uniquely suitable for Life forms like ourselves, and perhaps even for any form of Organic complexity. But the question remains – is the Universe tailor-made for man ?”
The previously mentioned Paul Davies noted that the Strong Nuclear Force “coupling constant” were only 2% stronger, then diprotons H-H2+ would fuse prior to Deuterium and Helium, & there would be no stars, no Life. Hydrogen, 75% of the Universe’s nuclei would be consumed in few minutes after Big Bang.
While the Standard Model of Particle Physics requires 25 freely adjustable parameters with an additional parameter for Gravitation, the Cosmological Constant, the aboce quoted Martin Rees first described Fine-Tunong with 6 dimensionless physical constants (ratios where the units canceled).
1) “N” – strength of Electromagnetism to the strength of Gravity for protons, 1036. If significantly smaller, only small short-lived Universe would result.
2) “ε” – measure of nuclear efficiency of fusion from Hydrogen to Helium, in part determined by strength of Strong Nuclear Force. At 0.007, it could not tolerate a +/– 0.001 deviation without preventing existence of all Hydrogen or no Hydrogen respectively.
3) “Ω” = “Omega” – the “Density Parameter”: the relative importance of Gravity & the Expansion Energy in the Universe, the ratio of the Mass Density of the Universe to the “Critical Density” for galaxy-collapse. At approximately = 1, a larger value with Gravity a little too strong compared to Dark Energy & initial Metric Expansion would have the Universe collapse before Life could evolve. If Gravity were too weak, there would be no stars & thus no Life.
4) “λ” = “Lambda” – the Cosmological Constant, the ratio of the density of Dark energy to the same Critical Energy Density of the Universe. This even far, far closer to 1, namely, a natural dimensionless value of Planck units of 10−122. This means, unpredictable Unity within 122 decimal places. With no effect on structures smaller than Billion light-years across, a slightest deviation would allow no stars.
5) “Q” – the Gravitational Energy required to pull a large galaxy apart compared to the energy equivalent of its mass, ~ 10−5. If too small, no stars form; if too large, too violent a Universe for stars to survive
6) “D1” – spatial dimensions in Space-Time, 3, whereas theoretically possible 2 or 3 could not support Life, advanced Life, & presumably intelligent Life.
These being handful, many others combine to predict the long, long odds.
Some more selected verses from the other Maharshi disciple [other than Master Nome]:
Since you forget your real Self, the only way is to go back to your real Self. If you keep the light on all the time, darkness cannot enter your room. Even if you open the door and invite it to come in, it cannot enter. Darkness is just an absence of light. In the same way, mind is just a self- inflicted area of darkness in which the light of the Self has been deliberately shut out. You live in the darkness by insisting on believing ideas that have no validity, and you live in the light of the Self when you have given up all ideas, both good and bad. Believing that I am a Body and a particular person is a bad habit that has become very strong because you have reinforced and strengthened it over many lifetimes. This will go if you meditate on your real Self. The habit will melt away, like ice becoming water.
Forgetfulness of the Self happens because of Non-Inquiry. So I say, “Remove the forgetfulness through Inquiry”. Forgetfulness or non-forgetfulness is not a part of your destiny. It is something you can choose from moment to moment. You have the freedom either to identify with the Body and its activities, and in doing so forget the Self, or you can identify with the Self and have the understanding that the Body is performing its predestined activities, animated and sustained by the power of the Self. If you have a lamp and you forget to put oil in it, the light goes out. It was your forgetfulness and your lack of vigilance that caused the light to go out. Your thoughts were elsewhere. They were not on tending the lamp. In every moment you only have one real choice: to be aware of the Self or to identify with the Body and the Mind. If you choose the latter course, don’t blame God or God’s will, or predestination. God did not make you forget the Self. You yourself are making that choice every second of your life.
The Self is always present. Nothing obstructs your awareness of it except your self-inflicted ignorance. Our efforts, our sadhana [spiritual practice, meditation Self-Inquiry], are directed towards removing this Ignorance. If this Ignorance is removed, the real Self is revealed. This revelation is not part of Destiny [harma]. Only the outer bodily activities are destined.
The Guru [Bhagavan] is always present, inside you and in front of you. If you don’t cover the vision of the Guru with your Ego, that will be enough. The Ego is the “I am the Body” idea. Remove this idea and you shine as the Self. That is the only thing you need to do in this life. The various events of your life — all the things that are going to happen to you — they are all destined. If you don’t want them to happen, they will still occur, even if you try to avoid them. And if you want things that are not in your destiny, they won’t come to you. There is no point worrying about the outer events of your life.
The desire for Enlightenment is necessary because without it you will never take the necessary steps to realize the Self. A desire to walk to a particular place is necessary before you take any steps. If that desire is not present, you will never take the first step. When you realize the Self, that desire will go. If the intensity to know yourself is strong enough, the intensity of your yearning will take you to the Self. Your most important objective must be realizing the Self. If you have not done this, you will spend your time in Ignorance & Illusion.
The above themes & 1600 pages more are freely available as perused or downloaded PDF’s, the sole occupants of a Public Microsoft Skydrive “Public Folder” accessible through:
or with Caps-sensitive: